Selvage:

ON THE EDGE OF LANGUAGE

Friday, October 9, 2009

Roy G. Biv (sorry, I can't let indigo go)

This is a view of Skull Valley, taken while standing on my front porch at Cipher Canyon Ranch, looking east to the Sierra Prietas. Weather in the mountains of Arizona is a wild thing, often entirely unpredictable--this is a picture of November, an odd time for rainbows, perhaps, which are not a permanent feature of this view but rather an entirely conditional one.

I'm missing this desert a bit. Mountains are unique, and memorable and, as such, a little like friends.

8 comments:

  1. One thing that makes me sad is that my kids have never seen a real rainbow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. T saw this photo and sighed when she saw the rainbow. She has never seen one either and just longs to.

    I won't give indigo up either. Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love mountains too, Linda. We have such beautiful ones here in Pasadena.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's a mountain here I think of as mine. I have to share it with Karin, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I followed the link back to your gorgeous property in Arizona. What a unbelievable find. Without any spiritual credentials I have always wanted to create some kind of mini sanctuary of my own. A little cord wood constructed (grandma Prisby styled house) made up of blue bottles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I could have left there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Today brought your book and rain. Beautiful book, beautiful rain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, thanks Karin.

    And, yes, PA and Petrea, that place haunts my dreams. Someday, we hope to go back--after the girl has made her own way into the world.

    ReplyDelete