Selvage:

ON THE EDGE OF LANGUAGE

Thursday, November 12, 2009

In the Eye of the Horse.

I was asked by my editor at the press to guest-blog this week and offer some background commentary on my poem, "Eye, Appaloosa," which was nominated for a Pushcart Prize. You can find the post here.

I also want to apologize to folks whose blogs I often comment on, as I'm not having the opportunity to do so of late. I've been on jury duty for almost two weeks now, and the trial will be lengthy, and I'm having a hard time squeezing in my usual pursuits--although I do try and read on my iphone everything everyone's posting during our breaks at the courthouse. I just don't have time to punch out witty and trenchant responses on the little keypad before we're lining up again. I am reading and enjoying, though.

3 comments:

  1. Huge congratulations on this nomination. Oh my gosh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Congrats on the nomination! That is wonderful--and well deserved! I am off to read the blog post now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me the subject of appalousa horses touches on the other issues related to equine ancestry. First, the name being that of a river. My toes curl when I come across that kind of information. The spotted horse directly related to Cortez. Then we come to the present with the current genetic testing of mustangs separating the plow horse from the wild horse. Supposedly the Montana horses are the purist stock. Lots of horses were let loose during the depression. I also wonder about selective breeding. How domestic animals when allowed to go wild take on certain hues (dun color on horses) Lastly the idea of covering and finding the truth in the "whites" of a horses eye.
    This was the case with my beloved Nia. She was white but if you got her wet you soon discovered her rump was spotted with pink on gray skin. Can you see the eye in this photo? The pink on the lips?

    congratulations (I should have said that first)

    ReplyDelete